Advanced Plant ID - Grasses, Sedges, Rushes
This 2-day course, worth 12 direct hours of WDCP Continuing Education, will focus on the identification of grass, sedge, and rush species commonly found growing in the wetland-upland transition areas of Minnesota. The course will review techniques and characteristics to distinguish the three families including taxonomy and plant structures. Keying out and identifying live plant specimens in the classroom and in the field will be part of the course. Participants should have previously completed a plant taxonomy/botany courses, are expected to be familiar with basic botanical terminology, and have some experience using dichotomous keys for plant identification. Students should bring any plant keys/guides that they use and/or own. A limited number of guides and keys will be available for use during this class.
Although there is no prerequisite for this course, students without some background in plant ID and/or plant biology may find some of the terminology and methods difficult to grasp.
Instructors: Steve Eggers (US ACOE), Rob Maroney (US ACOE)
|Date||Location||Early Registration |
|Last Day to Register/|
Payment Due By
|July 6-7, 2017||Aitkin area||June 1||June 30|
*Course time is approximately 8:30-4:30 each day.
Cost: $250 ($275 after Early Registration Deadline)
- Registration Form - For Checks and Purchase Orders
- Register Online for this session - Credit Cards only*
* Registration online is placed through learning.umn.edu, any questions with login/passwords should be directed to the number or email on the homepage of that site.
- Registration is filled on a first-come, first-serve basis. Registrations may be accepted after the last open registration date pending class size.
- Specifics regarding class location, agenda, etc. will all be sent via email upon receiving registration and payment.
- Payments must be received prior to the course date in order for your space to be held. Confirmations and all other correspondences will be sent via email.
- Please make check payable to the University of Minnesota.
- The registration fee includes refreshments, snacks, lunch and course materials. Dinner and hotel accommodations are on your own.
Mail registration form and payment to:
173 McNeal Hall
1985 Buford Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55108
A $30 processing fee will be assessed if you cancel up to three working days by 4:30 pm prior to any session. Any cancellation after these dates will forfeit the entire registration fee. Cancellation requests must be submitted via email, mail, or fax.
You may substitute another person's registration for your own. You must do this within five working days prior to the course.