Five-day Basic Delineation
This 5-day course will focus on the fundamentals, concepts and techniques for delineating wetlands in Minnesota. The course is based on the Corps of Engineers Wetland Delineation Manual as well as applicable regional supplements, e.g. Midwest, North Central/Northeast, and Great Plains. Specifically, the course will focus on the three parameters, (soils, hydrology, and vegetation) necessary for wetland delineations.
Other topics covered include problem areas, atypical situations, antecedent precipitation calculations, offsite data sources, wetland mapping conventions, hydrology monitoring, wetland classification, and wetland delineation reports.
The course will include lecture with exercises, and field components. At least 2 of the 5 days will include a field practicum where participants will practice utilizing techniques described in the lecture. Although there are no formal prerequisites for taking this course, participants who do not have at least some educational background in natural resources (specifically soils, hydrology, botany) may find it challenging to follow the quantity and variety of technical information covered in a short time period.
Participants can expect to hone existing or apply new wetland delineation skills. Participants will receive printed materials that will be used throughout the sessions as well as many additional references for future wetland delineations.
Certification Exam is NOT included with this registration.
Instructors: Ben Meyer (BWSR), Dennis Rodacker (BWSR), Dan Wheeler (U of MN), Barbara Walther (USACOE), Rob Maroney (USACOE), Dan Shaw (BWSR), Carol Strojny (BWSR), Steve Hofstad (BWSR), and more! Instructors may be subject to change due to location.
|Last Day to Register/
Payment Due By
|June 4-8, 2018||Arden Hills||April 27||May 25|
|September 10-14, 2018||Little Falls||August 3||September 3|
*Course begins Monday at noon and concludes Friday around 11 am. Tuesday through Thursday the course is from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. Exam is on Friday at Noon until 2pm. Registration for the exam is separate.
Cost: $900 ($950 for Late Registration)
***Certification exam is NOT included in this registration! More information here**
Registration Form - for Checks and Purchase Orders
Register Online - Credit Card Only* - NOTE: Choose section 500 (June) or 501 (September)
* Registration online is placed through learning.umn.edu, any questions with login/passwords should be directed to the number or email on the homepage of that site.
- Registration is filled on a first-come, first-serve basis. Registrations may be accepted after the last open registration date pending class size.
- Specifics regarding class location, agenda, etc. will all be sent via email upon receiving registration and payment.
- Payments must be received prior to the course date in order for your space to be held. Confirmations and all other correspondences will be sent via email.
- Please make check payable to the University of Minnesota.
- The registration fee includes refreshments, snacks, lunch and course materials. Dinner and hotel accommodations are on your own
Mail registration form and payment to:
173 McNeal Hall
1985 Buford Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55108
A $30 processing fee will be assessed if you cancel up to three working days by 4:30 pm prior to any session. Any cancellation after these dates will forfeit the entire registration fee. Cancellation requests must be submitted via email, mail, or fax.
You may substitute another person's registration for your own. You must do this within three working days prior to the course.
5-Day Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Will the certification or in-training exam be available at the end of the 5-day training?
A: Yes, the exams will be available at the end of the 5-day delineation training. Although, you must have an approved application prior to registering for the exam. Visit the certification process and exam information page for details.
Q: Is there a separate fee for the exam or is it included in the cost of the training?
A: The cost of the exam is NOT included in the cost of the training. Although, once your application for either exam has been accepted you can send in one check to cover the price of the exam and training. For more information about exam pricing and applications visit the Certification Process and Exam Information page of our site.
Q: There are a few people from my company that will be going to the training session. Do we all need to send in payments separately?
A: No, you do not need to send in separate payments for each person, but please make sure the following items are in order.
- If you mail in the payments when the registration is mailed, please mail all registration forms together with the payment.
- If you mail in the payment after the registration has been mailed, please either include a list of people the registration is meant to cover or copies of the registration forms.
- If more than one person from the company is planning on taking the exam, a separate application must be sent for each person. The check for the exams may be sent together in one payment AFTER the applications have been approved.