Basic Plant ID
This 2-day course, worth 12 direct hours of WDCP Continuing Education Hours, will focus on the identification of forbs, trees, and shrubs common to the wetland-upland transition areas of Minnesota. The course will review techniques and characteristics to distinguish plant species and groups of species that are often relevant to the hydrophytic vegetation criteria for wetland delineations. Keying out and identifying live plant specimens in the classroom and in the field will be part of the course. Unlike the advanced plant identification course, this course will cover the basics of botanical organization and classification, plant parts, and how to use guides and keys to identify species. The course is intended for those participants with minimal training in plant taxonomy or those who would benefit from a review of the basics related to plant identification.
Although there is no prerequisite for this course, students without some background in plant identification and/or plant biology may find some of the terminology and methods difficult to grasp.
Instructors: Dan Shaw (BWSR), Carol Strojny (BWSR) BWSR Interns
|Date||Location||Early Registration |
|Last Day to Register/|
Payment Due By
|July 20-21, 2017||Arden Hills||June 15||July 14|
*Course time is approximately 8:30-4:30
Cost: $250 ($275 after the Early Registration Deadline)
- Registration Form - For Checks and Purchase Orders
- Register Online for this session - Credit Card only*
* Registration online is placed through learning.umn.edu, any questions with login/passwords should be directed to the number or email on the homepage of that site.
- Registration is filled on a first-come, first-serve basis. Registrations may be accepted after the last open registration date pending class size.
- Specifics regarding class location, agenda, etc. will all be sent via email upon receiving registration and payment.
- Payments must be received prior to the course date in order for your space to be held. Confirmations and all other correspondences will be sent via email.
- Please make check payable to the University of Minnesota.
- The registration fee includes refreshments, snacks, lunch and course materials. Dinner and hotel accommodations are on your own.
Mail registration form and payment to:
173 McNeal Hall
1985 Buford Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55108
A $30 processing fee will be assessed if you cancel up to three working days by 4:30 pm prior to any session. Any cancellation after these dates will forfeit the entire registration fee. Cancellation requests must be submitted via email, mail, or fax.
You may substitute another person's registration for your own. You must do this within five working days prior to the course.